Click on the image to zoom in further.
Edwin Brown of Coventry was born in 1814 and was a renowned Victorian animal painter. Although he was born in Mancetter, near Atherstone, he spent most of his life in Coventry, living in Albion Street from the 1840s and ending his days there in 1891, hence the distinct name. Indeed, he worked mainly in the Coventry Area, painting horses, dogs, farm animals, etc., and also some landscapes. He mostly signed his paintings 'E. Brown, Coventry'.
He mainly received commisions from local families, and two of his paintings are thus in the Herbert Art Gallery: "The Binley Oak", 1848 (A local landmark according to an 1840s Ordnance Survey map), and "Chestnut Hunter in a Landscape", 1867. He also has paintings in the Rugby Art Gallery and Museum.
Edwin Brown of Coventry married Louisa Goddard in Leamington Spa on the 30th of August 1838 - with his occupation listed as Artist. He begins appearing in the Coventry street and trade directories from 1841 as Professor and Teacher of Animal Painting, Artist and Animal Painter until 1888. The Coventry Census Returns from 1851 to 1881 to show him and his family living at 24 Albion Street (this was still the home of his daughter, Emma, in 1911). He died in Coventry in 1891.
Indeed, Edwin Brown was trully a remarkable artist, and his work not only stuns the viewer with its realism and quality, but serves also as a nostalgic testiment to a Victorian painter much like us, who actively participated in his community and lived a normal life.